There are continuous innovations in almost every field making it vital for students and working professionals to remain updated. Advances in technology have also led to a revolution in the way we study. Besides the fact that almost all of us now own smartphones, the number of educational apps is also on the rise.
Learning with the help of education apps is a more creative and innovative method of studying and students as well as teachers have discovered the benefits of using such apps. It is beneficial for both students as well as working professionals who wish to update their skill set. This article provides more information on educational app development.
What is an Education App?
Education apps allow students to gain their degrees and are also useful for increasing one’s knowledge. It gives the student more control over their education and allows them to learn at their own pace. There are many types of education apps like learning platforms that offer several courses for students to take up, an app to learn a specific subject, virtual class apps, learning management systems, and many more.
Impact of Education Apps
- In the 3rd quarter of 2022, the Apple App store consists of 21.49% of games apps, 10.1% of business apps, and 8.67% of education apps.
- The education market is expected to grow to $46 billion by 2024.
- The education apps market is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 28.61% between 2022 and 2027.
- The search for learning-related apps has grown by 80% on Google.
- Some of the popular online learning platforms are Udemy, LinkedIn Learning, Coursera, and Skillshare.
- Udemy has over 40 million active students.
- LinkedIn has over 16000 courses in many different languages.
- Coursera has 23 million students.
- It provides the students with a more personalized learning experience.
- Students gain a more enhanced experience, besides it is a more innovative method of learning.
- Mobile apps are available to us on our smartphones which we can take with us where we go. Students thus do not miss a study session just because they are away or traveling.
- Students and working professionals gain access to the latest updates and gain up-to-date knowledge of the topics of their interest.
- It is the ideal way to make optimal use of your time since users can study while and at the same time do not need to give up their true interests or activities.
- Business and educational institutes can benefit from developing this type of app since more students are now beginning to discover the benefit of studying online. This includes both young students, and adults as well as working professionals.
- The fact that it is highly portable and available 24×7 works in your favor.
This type of app is for educational institutes, businesses, and corporate. Educational institutes can benefit from conducting virtual classes while working professionals with little time to spare can take up professional courses using such apps. Such executives tend to find it hard to devote the time to attend classes physically, thus an educational app is an ideal solution.
- User account: Students can create their accounts and manage their profiles as well as account preferences. This will be a secure account with a high level of encryption.
- Search: Users can browse and search for their courses using a robust search system along with filters.
- Course listing: Each course listed in the app will have a detailed description along with information on the tutors, lecturers, and reviews from previous users.
- Notifications: Students will get custom notifications regarding their courses.
- Personalization: Students can learn at their own pace and will have the support of the tutor to complete the course along with technical support.
- UI/UX Design: The learning app will have a smartly designed and simple user interface to ensure ease of use.
- Video content: The course will consist of both textual and video content to simplify the learning process.
- Offline: Students can also study offline in the case where there is an issue with the Internet connection.
- Tracking: Students can track their progress and gain assistance from the tutor when required.
How to Monetize this App?
There are many options when it comes to monetizing such an app:
- Freemium: The app offers some of the basic features for free, however, they need to pay a subscription fee for the premium features or pay for the premium courses that they are interested in. Udemy is the perfect example of this model.
- Subscription: Several educational apps simply charge a subscription fee for users to access all their courses, this can either be a monthly or yearly that gives the users full access to the entire course library. Shaw Academy is a good example of this model.
- Ads: Placing ads in the app is one of the most common monetization strategies and is also an application for this type of app.
- In-app purchases: The educational app can also be designed to have various sections of the course or additional features locked which are only available using the in-app purchase model.
- Paid Apps: Users need to pay to use and download the app which might have a limited-time free trial version to assess the app first.
Educational App Development Cost
As one would expect the time and cost to develop such an app depends a great deal on the type of features included. It also depends on the platform selected, it can either be a cross-platform app for both Android & iOS or a native app. Cross-platform apps are more affordable as is developing an MVP. The cost will also depend on the number of additional features you include.
Tech Stack & e-learning App Development Team
The technologies used to develop such an app largely depend on the types of features one wishes to include. Laravel is a PHP framework and it is best suited to develop the backend of the education mobile app. The tech stack to develop an educational app looks like this: Laravel, Flutter, React Native, iOS app, Android App, MySQL, Firebase, AWS, Google Cloud, NodeJS, Vue.JS, etc.
The development team for this app would typically be:
- Project Manager
- Backend developer
- Mobile app developer
- QA team tester
How to Develop An Education App?
- Research as per your business objectives. It is a good idea to offer more to the students especially since there are already many education apps available.
- Brainstorm to find new concepts and creative features to include in your app. Also, know your competitors and the type of solutions they have developed.
- Consider developing an MVP especially since it is more affordable, reduces the risk, and assures faster time to market.
- Know your customers which in this case will be students. Depending on the type of app you intend to develop they can be young kids, regular students, or working professionals.
- Define the scope and specification of your app before approaching a mobile app development company. Having a clear picture of what you intend to develop goes a long way in ensuring you create a robust application.
- Ensure the e-learning app development firm you select has sufficient resources and a team of skilled designers, developers, and testers to ensure the app is free from errors.
Advantages To Hire Developer
There are several options available when it comes to developing an app. Among all the possible options like hiring freelancers, hiring an in-house team, and finding an experienced mobile app development team; hiring a professional development team is the ideal option. Acquaint Softtech is one such mobile app development company with the expertise to develop educational apps.
There are many advantages of hiring professionals like us as listed here:
- It gives you access to the latest technologies and solutions.
- It means having your app developed by a highly talented pool of developers & designers.
- We offer economical and high-quality solutions.
- Hire our developer to fulfill your business goals and launch the app on time.
- We offer Laravel development services and have expertise in various technologies.
To wrap it up, educational apps make up a fair share of the total percentage of apps in the marketplace. The concept of distance learning has evolved tenfold and we have advanced technologies to thank for this. It offers more flexibility to both students and teachers making it a highly popular learning tool. This is the ideal time to develop such a mobile app for your business and take advantage of the scores of users using mobile apps to study.
1. How effective are educational apps?
Educational apps are feature-rich, affordable, and increasing in popularity. This serves the purpose of allowing students to study at their own pace irrespective of where they are like traveling, outstation, etc. It offers students a feature-rich platform with good UI/UX design to study, consult the tutor and discuss issues with other students.
- What are examples of educational mobile apps?
There are many types of educational apps like Udemy, which has many registered users and tons of courses to choose from, Shaw Academy also has a wide range of courses to offer to their students, Khan Academy, DuoLingo, etc.