What is a campaign strategy?
A campaign strategy is an organized and researched plan for your campaign to follow in order to reach its objectives. To run a successful campaign, you should know the following:
1. Positive and negative effects of campaigning
2. Who is affected by the campaign
3. Changes that can improve the campaign
4. What resources and tools are available for running a successful campaign.
5. Be aware of the existing problem.
Before running a campaign, you should have the answer to the following questions:
1. What problems are you overcoming?
2. What will be the vision of the world after solving the problem?
3. What changes will this vision bring?
4. Who will be affected by this problem?
5. What will be your focused target?
6. Who will be affected by the success of this campaign?
5 Tips to set-up your Campaign Strategy
1. Set campaign goals
When you think about your campaign strategy, first think about your goal and once decided, break them into three parts: long term goals, Medium-term goals, and short-term goals.
Short term goals: First, start with the short-term goals. They will be very helpful in achieving the following things: The first being motivating your team because these goals tend to happen sooner. By completing the short-term goals, your team will be encouraged to reach and accomplish the main goals.
Medium-term goals: Let’s not forget the medium-term goals. These goals are often left behind but are equally as important. Make sure to identify your medium-term goals to not leave large gaps of no accomplishments between short- and long-term goals. Remember, the more goals you check off, the more motivated you and your team will be to keep going.
Long term goal: The most crucial goal of your entire campaign. Define your end goal and don’t lose sight of it as you check off those small and medium-term accomplishments that inch you closer to your long-term ones.
2. Choose your target population wisely
It is essential to identify your target population. There should be a person or group that will help you achieve your objectives. But for that, your target should be clear, and you should also have a proper understanding of your campaign. Identify who ultimately takes the decision at the institution or who has the most influence over it, and if you find that, you will get your target. Once you have identified your target, check all the institutional resources and the changes you will make to gain your target. For this, you should be clear with the following questions.
1. Who are the targets? And how will you influence them to support you?
2. What powers do you have over your target?
3. What are the reasons a target can agree or disagree with you?
3. Decide your strategy
Till now, you have set your goals and chosen your target. Now, it’s time to set up a campaign strategy. Your strategy should ideally influence your target so that you can achieve your goals and get support from the general public for your campaign. A strategy is a set of techniques organized in a systematic way to influence a specified objective toward a specific goal.
It would help if you started by answering the following question when planning your campaign strategy:
Where should you focus your efforts (e.g., through the media, teachers, students, contributors, etc.) given the vulnerabilities of your target(s)? You can select more than one.
4. Choose your tactics
Now that you have a strategy in mind, you can choose a tactic. Tactical goals are the same as short term goals and are used to measure the success of your campaign efforts and help you increase your campaign members morale. Tactics should fit into your strategy and make sense to your members and followers. Tactics should be unique and creative. Moreover, your tactic should be innovative to keep your members engaged in your campaign.
You should know the answer to the following questions:
1. who you will target and how will you influence your target audience with tactics?
2. How will this tactic help you to reach your target?
3. Is your tactic beneficial to your target audience?
5. Execute and review your campaign
Executing your campaign is the most important step among all the other steps. Always take help from someone who can review your work and tell you if something is missing or not and will find the mistakes in your work. You can also get help from a political software that may help organize your campaign.
After all the steps, it is the best time to review the campaign; you can check the campaign’s overall performance. If you miss some target goals earlier, you will get to know all the left targets, and you can fulfil them now.